Wednesday, April 11, 2007

email

Quick update...

I saw the neonatologist yesterday and was crying so I think he felt bad for me so he said that he would get an OT consult.  I met with her today and she showed me some tricks to try and get him to suck better. He is doing better, they are giving him 60 ccs of milk, about 2oz, and he was taking 40 today - yesterday he was only taking 25, so that is good. They will only feed him 20-25 min before they give up and put it in his tube. Someone finally explained it to me that is because they do not want to exhaust him. The only thing he does to burn calories now is to suck, and they don't want him to burn too many because they don't want him to lose weight. He gets a bottle every other feed and when he does a whole one, they will add more. We are a ways from that. The OT and the nurses have said it it like a lightbulb suddenly turns on in their heads and they figure it out. So I am praying for that lightbulb to brighten up soon.  I am pumping every 3 hours (when possible) and so far that has gone fine. The LC today told me I needed to pump every 2.5 hours and also wake up at night once to pump - I just smiled at her and went OK thinking, that ain't gonna happen. It is hard enough for me to do every 3 hours with 3 other very demanding little kids and the ONLY bright side to him being in the NICU is that I get to sleep all night. I am ok with him getting some formula and they are packing my milk with more calories too. So far he has only lost about 6oz.

I have been extremely hormonal the last couple of days and was very afraid post-partum depression was kicking in (I have had it twice before) but today I feel normal, so praise God. Shepherd and Eva Rose are being pretty terrible. Shep has been very defiant and backtalking. He got to see him last night so that helped but he does not understand why his baby is not home. "Where is her? I WANT my baby brudder!" Me too, baby, me too. Eva Rose is pretty clueless and thinks Baby Ingram is in her tummy. Maggie is FINALLY starting to walk so she may be walking for real by the time he is home. I am going to try to spend some time with them tomorrow and take Shep to his favorite place in the world - Costco - so hopefully some one-on-one will help. It is hard when I feel like I barely see them, and then when I do, I am disciplining the whole time.

One of the doctors said he thought he was a 34 weeker, his other doctor said more like a 36 weeker, who knows when this baby was conceived. It doesn't really matter, as some full term babies, especially c-section ones, end up in the same boat as Ingram.

I am learning a whole lot about the NICU and becoming a little attached to his little buddies - his next door neighbor Luis caught on sucking so he gets to go home soon.  His other next door neighbor Ashlyn has been there since March 19. She is a twin, and there is no other twin there, so I don't know if they lost the other one. She is teeny tiny but has a giant temper and today she had what looked like a shunt on her head. Seeing her makes me thankful that our problems are minor in comparison. His other friend Grace was born the same day as Ingram and is much tinier but out of her incubator. The nurses won't tell me their details due to privacy (altho I think I found one who might) so I just pray for them to get better, whatever they need, God knows.

Our mothers have been lifesavers and have come every day so that I can run back and forth to the hospital and take much needed naps.  They are true blessings.

Please continue to pray that Ingram figures out how to suck, swallow and breathe all at the same time, and that my hormones stay stable. We don't need Momma to go south right now.  Also that I can figure out how to meet the needs of my other kiddoes when I am feeling so emotionally tapped as it is.

Your prayers are working and mean the world to us.

thanks -
love, Mis

No comments:

Post a Comment